On 18-06-18 17:10, Jeroen Hovens wrote:
That would work if updating the xlsx file automatically leads to an updated
map. Does it, or do I have to renew the join every time the xlslx is updated?

Just (re)opening the project should work. You can easily test it locally.

I would like the decision makers to see directly what happens to the
geographical spread if they refuse proposal 10 to 21 (for instance based on
quality of the proposal). Because geographical spread is one of the criteria
and this is best visualized with a map (instead of a list of municipality
names), they can argue and reconsider choices. That's my need for 'real-time'.
Combined with the wish to make changes in just one document (xlsx being the
easiest) in stead of two (both xlsx and qgis), I am looking for solution.

To be honest, opening the attribute table and edit some cells manually in an edit session is not too complicated imho.

I have to look into the Statistics panel. Will that provide cumulations of a
certain column based on a selection of fields (all the selected proposals)? And
what is used to create that selection? Does it refresh automatically?

Yes, you choose the layer and column and it shows all statistics. It can also show the statistics for the selected features only.