Sorry I don't know enough about virtual memory implementation to comment.

The only software I am sufficiently familiar with from experience is Gimp, which has the setting where you can specify the size of the tile cache. So for example I have a tile cache set to 200 GB. It starts with physical RAM then pushes into the swap space.

I can monitor the resource use of the system with a widget displayed on the panel on the computer. This shows CPU use, memory and swap space use. From there I can watch the resource use of the system while doing things. I can compare the resource usage being displayed for the system with the Gimp dashboard.

The assumption for me is that the operating system, in theory, presents a virtual memory model to applications, whereby the actual physical implementation is abstracted, such that when an application makes a request for more memory allocated, it is essentially transparent where the information is actually physically stored. Maybe that is not accurate?