Hi Werner and others,

Yes, I ran into similar workflows before as well.

For now, I created a simple plugin where you can choose the layer, field and value to set. Then you just click-click-click all the features you want to set the value for. Only works in edit mode.

While finding a name for my plugin, I chose 'value painter' and then I found out that there's already a plugin called 'attribute painter'. It does something similar, but in a more complex way. I expect too complex for the qgis "noobs" I'm working with.

I'm not planning to upload the plugin to the QGIS repo, but the source code is on github:

https://github.com/raymondnijssen/valuepainter

There's also a short screencast demo there:
https://github.com/raymondnijssen/valuepainter/blob/master/docs/paint_tool_demo.webm

Cheers,
Raymond