Hello Warren,

if you have some  locations in the pdf-file with known coordinates you
can do the following (for me this procedure works fine in most of the
cases):

1.) Convert the pdf-file into *.tif or *.jpg;

2.) In QGIS open the georeferencer tool (you can find it in the raster
tab of the QGIS main window);

3.) Import the *.tif/*.jpg file  into the georeferencer tool;

4.) Add the coordinates of the known locations into the imported map by
using the "add point" button on top;

5.) Open "Settings --> Transformation Settings", complete the setting
options, and click on "OK";

6.) Click on "Start Georeferencing" (the green triangle on top);

Then you should get what you wanted...!

Regards

Martin