Jeremy,

What version of QGIS are you using?  It may be entirely unrelated, but I ran into serious problems exporting map layouts to PDF.  I noticed it at 3.18 (Windows 10).  Some, not all, exports were using a lot of memory, and it would actually cause one of my duel screens to go blank and stop working.  Apparently I had too little RAM (8 gigs) - I added 16 more and all is working fine now.  It took a long time to resolve as I was looking at software and settings and it was actually my hardware/system being overwhelmed.  Just a thought.

David