I have noticed the same thing and much prefer the ArcMap setup/visible selected
feature design/operation ability.

From: Qgis-user <qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org> On Behalf Of C Hamilton
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 8:14 AM
To: qgis-user <qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org>; qgis-developer
<qgis-develo...@lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [Qgis-user] Issue with How Selected Features are Displayed When
Overlapping

I have a user complaint with QGIS who explained that when point features
overlap and one is selected from  the attribute table but is underneath other
features, you cannot see it highlighted because it is covered by other points.
Is there any way to have it show that there is a highlighted feature there even
though it is underneath non-highlighted features? In ArcMap the highlights are
always shown on the top level of the canvas even if they are covered by
non-highlighted features.

I tested this in QGIS and the user was correct.

Thanks,

Calvin