It comes down to a perspective of how intuitive a UI feature should be.

The placement tab is a new feature in recent versions of Qgis and that's down to a subjective classification of things into "placement" options or whether there is a better way of classifying the settings that keeps them together in the same tab of the dialog.

You could put a message above the multiline section saying " this section is disabled because curved has been selected in other tab" or words to that effect.