Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your comments. It seems I've misread Byron's problem and assumed that his library is wrapped up into an xml file!

In order to use the solution I've provided you need to have an xml "library" file describing the .svg files.
Then you point
Settings -> Style Manager... -> Import/Export -> Import Item(s)... to the xml file not the svg files.

@Byron, open one of your svg files with a text editor. Does the first line starts with "<svg" or is it '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>'?
If not you probably have downloaded html files embedding svg images!

Cheers,
Benoit