Starting with a tiff hillshade 10,812 x 10,812 8-bit unsigned int, 1 band , then exporting

geopkg, default settings - 32,136K bytes
geopkg, manually setting TILE_FORMAT = PNG - 80,572K bytes
gtiff, default no compression - 114,287K bytes
gtiff, high compression (DEFLATE, predictor = 2) - 86,816K bytes

The default is still lossy as expected as the issue has not been resolved, but it is possible to override the defaults by providing the TILE_FORMAT = PNG options.