"A picture is worth a thousands words"...

I don't have any tips on using more cores from QGIS.

However, My own hack:

 * Install a Postgres/PostGIS database system local on the same
   computer as QGIS.
 * Setup Postgres to use as many cores as you wish. Newer version of
   Postgres is *much better* at multiprocessing.
 * Upload necessary data to the database.
 * Redesign the data processing workflow as table-creating queries in
   Postgres.
 * Use QGIS as a visualisation tool for Postgres data results.

I know, it's not the solution for everybody or any data processing situation, but it works at lot of the time for me.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Bo Victor Thomsen