Hi Christoph,

The WMTS service provide tiles. It does not provide a file system access to the tiles.

If you want to have the tiles on the file system, you need to use a caching software do support such workflow. You can do that with a QGIS Server plugin or using a cache software, like MapProxy. I use MapProxy with QGIS Server and this software stack runs smoothly. Such kind of software allows you to define policies regarding tile updating.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo