greg at tekknow.net greg at tekknow.net
Thu Feb 22 20:12:38 PST 2024

Hi Greg,
while I'm not sure that the IDW interpolation is the right interpolation algorithm to use in order to obtain a valid DEM from irregularly sampled elevation data and that Google Earth is a valid source of elevation data at sufficient resolution and precision for a house building, it looks like the main issue is due to the fact that the point vector layer containing the elevation data is in a geographical Coordinate Reference System, i.e. the unit of measure of the X and Y coordinates is the degree, while the unit of measure of the Z coordinate (elevation) is probably the metre.

Thus, in order for the the 3D terrain to be correctly displayed, you firstly need to reproject the point vector layer containing the elevation data to a projected Coordinate Reference System whose unit of measure for the X and Y coordinates is the metre and then use such reprojected point vector layer to create the DEM.
I suggest you to use an UTM projection suitable for your area.

Best regards.

Andrea