Chris,

Your suggestion makes sense. The opening line of the index.html code established UTF-8 as the code and which is now the same as the code for the Q-GIS layer. And yet, the problem persists. To make matters more complicated, the map has all the accents when opened from by computer, but looses them once uploaded.

Thanks,

Robert

On 2024-02-27 10:07 a.m., chris hermansen wrote:
Robert and list

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024, 06:52 Robert Sweeny via QGIS-User <qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

    Hi people,
    I am attempting to produce Q-GIS web sites using the gqis2web
    add-on. I am opting for Leaflet because that seems to work best
    for my purposes. The problem is that french language accents do
    not appear properly. They are represented by odd combinations of
    capital letters and a symbol. Suggestions?

Sounds like one part of your environment is using say ISO8859 character encoding and the other UTF-8

For example your data (in shape files) may be ISO8859 but QGIS may be using UTF-8.

    Robert Sweeny
    Montreal