Hi Michaela,

You can use the tool "points along geometry" to create the coverage layer. Choose the correct distance based on your 1:500 scale (to show more or less overlapping areas). Then create the Atlas using such points (that you can hide them in the output). You can play with different distances.

I hope it helps,

Jorge