Fellow QGIS Users -

I'm trying to determine if its possible to have QGIS render the exterior
boundary of polygon features only once when that boundary is shared with an
adjacent feature (don't render overlapping exterior boundaries for both polygon
features).  The data I'm working with is a county parcels layer and the
symbology I'm using for this layer is a cross hatched line fill with a separate
component for the outline of the polygons.  I've tried a couple of expressions
(examples below) including one geometry generator and one data defined override
for the stroke width of the boundary line but none of them achieves my
objective.  I'm using QGIS 3.34.7 and my coding skills are limited.  I feel
like I've seen this issue covered somewhere but have been unable to find a
solution after extensive online exploration.

Method #1:  "boundary( difference( $geometry, aggregate( 'union', 'intersects',
$geometry, other_layer := @layer)))"  This expression was used on the outline
component of the symbology described above.

Method #2:  "CASE WHEN intersects( $geometry, geom_to_wkt( boundary( $geometry
))) THEN 0  ELSE 1 END"  Here I switched to using an expression on the stroke
width of a simple fill, but I got an error message saying "Cannot convert to
geometry".

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tim