Tim Sutton via QGIS-User <qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> 🥳 The new website is now online! Visit https://qgis.org to try it out. We
> have spent a *lot* of time trying to QA things but undoubtedly there will
> still be some *gremlins* in the works. Please file issues here
> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Hugo/issues> if you find things that are
> *substantive* issues (i.e. a broken link, spelling error) and not 'reviews'
> of our work please. If you have other comments or suggestions for
> improvements, we much prefer that they be accompanied by *PR's* which
> implement your proposed improvements to keep our workload down and the
> issue queue short.

I'm writing here because I'm having a hard time sorting "substantive"
being spelling with serious content issues not.  I have a lot of
comments but I think the above would sort them into things that are not
clearly micro bugs.

There is a "download" button and it says "Available on Windows, Mac,
Linux".  This is fundamentally off, in that qgis being an open-source
program the primary product is source code.   I get it that many people
want pre-built binaries.   Specific issues:

  it should be clear that source is available, to anyone who perceives
  any ability to download anything

  the path to getting sources should show sources first.  For those who
  want to skip them, that's easy.

Specific suggestion: Change the text to say

  Source code, and pre-built binaries for Linux, macOS, and Windows.

At https://qgis.org/download/

  I am offered big buttons for windows binaries, despite my browser
  sending NetBSD as the operating system.  I don't know if this is coded
  for unrecognized goes to windows, but if so that's a bug.

  The statement about platforms says "QGIS is available on Windows,
  macOS, Linux, Android and iOS."  But, there is source code which
  builds on NetBSD (packaged in pkgsrc) and there is a link for FreeBSD.

  the source links are the same kind of
    https://qgis.org/downloads/qgis-latest.tar.bz2
  as before.  This is a bug because it leads to qgis-latest.tar.bz2 on
  the user's system, instead of the file with the version number.7

  The link to the entire directory of source tarballs is either missing
  or well hidden.

  The statement that qgis is available on Android and iOS is incorrect.
  What's available are things like QField and Mergin.  I don't mean to
  knock those programs - I use QField and find it very useful. But it is
  not qgis on Android.    It's not clear which third-party apps are
  going to be listed.  Overall, there should not be a statement that
  qgis is available on mobile, and the mobile section should say
  "QGIS-ecosystem apps for mobile" and then people would get the right
  impression.

  The elephant in the room remains.  As I understand it, QField uses
  qgis code, and qgis is GPL.  The ios app store:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/qfield-for-qgis/id1531726814
  says that is is Copyright opengis.ch, but there is no statment that
  it's available under the GPL, and apple's app store terms, as I read
  them, prohibit the recipient from copying/modifying/redistributing.
  I really do not understand what's going on.

Greg