Hi,
I think I have hit a similar problem recently. OGR should be able to
load shapefiles with 2 different ways:
1. layer path is directory, layer name is shapefile's name (without extension)
2. layer path is whole path to the layer and layer name is its base name

First option (used in tutorial) didn't work for me as expected so I've
used second one, e.g.:

QString myLayerPath = "/data/gis/mylayer.shp";
QString myLayerBaseName = "mylayer";
QString myProviderName = "ogr";

QgsVectorLayer * mypLayer =
      new QgsVectorLayer(myLayerPath, myLayerBaseName, myProviderName);

Martin