Hi

We have the same idea already implemented for C++ programmers for some
time - so maybe Martin could extend the plugin build to ask which
language you want your plugin to be in and then build from a python
plugin template when applicable.

Qt automatically  changes the brightness of buttons based on whether
they are enabled or not, so I guess you need to call setEnabled on
your button based on context.

Regards

Tim

2008/1/14, Richard Duivenvoorde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi List,
> I'm currently working on a python plugin which is actually a click-tool,
> comparable to the I-tool from the attributes-view. That is: when you
> click the plugin button, you click in the map and something happens, you
> are supposed to be in that 'mode'/'state' untill you choose to use
> another tool (like zoomin, select etc).
> This opposed to (plugin)-tools which work via their own 'config'-screen:
> you activate the plugin, a config screen pops up, and after completing
> the configuration you're still in the old (eg zoom) mode.
>
> Questions:
> - is there a difference between these two 'modes', in term of names
> (tools vs wizard or so)? How do you call these?
> - I was not able to 'enable' my plugin button, aka: make it a little
> darker so you know that you're still in the xyz-mode. Can somebody point
> me to such an example, or are plugins not supposed to work like this?
>
> Idea:
> Is it an idea for one of the (python)-guru's to make two plugin
> annotated stubbs and add it to the pluginrepository, which can be used
> by 'normal' people to implement their functionality.
> I'm thinking of two plugins: one for this 'wizard'-like plugins and one
> for this 'state'-like plugin.
> This plugins do nothing more then enable certain (click) events in the
> map and do a print out (though these print out lines can't be seen in
> windows?). Actually in line with this wiki article:
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DevelopingPluginsWithPython, but adding
> some more events, and maybe some simple qt dialogs.
>
> A user which knows a few words of python can then copy the plugin stubb,
> and add some simple code for example in the 'mapClick'handler, without
> knowing to much about the Qt-event handling system. If needed this can
> be learned later.
>
> Essentials:
> - the stubbs should contain ready made parts for thinks like: showing
> the essential events: mouseClicks in the map etc
> - there should be a difference between a (more advanced) wizard like
> plugin and a simple 'commandline'-plugin.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Tim Sutton
openModeller Desktop Developer