Hi

QGIS doesnt have language bindings for java so I guess you are calling
qgis as a system process? The screenshot command line option is using
the same (gui based) application binary as QGIS desktop - hence the
possibility for the visual side effects. For a more robust solution I
would suggest making a simple libqgis_core based command line app to
load your maps and create an image output. There are a number of
examples for python and c++ available, and the tests/src/core unit
tests have additional routines that can be adopted as the basis for
such a simple command line app.

Regards

Tim

--