Marcel Kilgus wrote:

Lafe McCorkle wrote:

Etch! As far as I am concerned, football is only played in the USA,
Canada and to a lesser extent Down Under.

Uh well, that actually reminds me of a cartoon from the American Dave Kellett:

http://www.kilgus.net/images/sheldon-football.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

Marcel

Well done, Marcel, and well taken!  Socker does indeed involve more footwork, but in
America football has been football for well over a hundred years! (as is true of your
football in Europe as well I assume!)
Sports that are undisputed are baseball and basketball.  Surely the name football was
applied to our game because field goals and extra points are kicked,and that major
movement is by running on feet, as opposed to on hourse as in polo.  Yes, I still
claim the name football for our sport, at least in our country, where socker is a
jonny come lately game.