I have done as you suggested with some results:

LPRINTing Chr(0)+Chr(7) from Archive to my Mannesman Tally MT80+ printer
does produce a sound similar to that produced when the printer is out of
paper.

The machine code routine from Tony also produces a note from the 'Speaker'
but the duration is short and it is hard to hear as the speaker is mounted
inside a Pandora case. Also, when I tried to put the routine call into a
loop to get it to send a number of beeps of differing pitches(a tune?), the
QL locks up after about three loops! Is there some incompatibility between
it and SMSQ? I am using Archive from Xchange version 3.90L as obtained from
the Quanta Library. The installation of the code does work if added to the
starting TSL code in archive.

Any more bright suggestions from anyone or do I kick it into touch (oops off
topic! ) and revert to Dilwyn's printer beep?

Regards,

John Gilpin.