On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:36:59 +0200, Michael Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "wolfgang mÃhlegger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QL Network link QL <--> PC possible?

EXEC MENUCONFIG

that should help

that explains a lot! ... of course I could not execute MenuConfig ...
because I unzipped it under Windows! So QDOS has no chance to recognize it
as an executable. That is BTW one of my major problems at the moment: I do
not yet have a working UNZIP prog under QDOS. Which prg / version is most
recommended?

Not 100% true. If you rename under DOS Menuconfig to say Menuconf.EXn (where n is the appropriate no for the dataspace required (see SMSQ/e manual) you can execute Menuconfig from a dos disk (or a DOS device under QPC2) even if the header is lost.
(Of course you do require SMSQ/e to do that under real QL hardware)

Ok, so in between tried something like transforming MenuConfig manually into
an executable using LBYTES and SEXEC commands with a guess of 16K for the
dataspace - I assume if such a guess for the dataspace is bigger than the
really needed, then the prog should never have a problem with it???

Afterwards EX MENUCONFIG comes back with an error message "Menu Extention
not present" - ok, I can understand this need - somewhere on a demo WIN file
for QPC I found a file named MENU_REXT wich reports to be a demo version
5.03 from 1994.
Once that is loaded EXEC MENUCONFIG reports "Menu Extention too old" -
AAAARRGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry...)

As you correctly found out you also need a newer Menu_rext :-) Menu extensions are not free and have to be purchased however for your purposes config_exe (that doesn't require Menu extensions) can be used. IIRC sernet only has v.1 config blocks (I am completely against the idea of config blocks myself... and all self modifying executables for that manner... btw :-) ) and config_exe is free. I can send you a version of config if you need.

Funny (or not) but it is like an endless chain of problems, whenever you have solved one you run into the next...

Yes but it's more fun like that... with windows you would be already stuck without the possibility for (easy) answers ;-) but on QDOS you already got offers for help :-)

  • ... Michael Berger
  • ... Derek Stewart
  • ... Michael Berger
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Michael Berger
  • ... Phoebus R. Dokos
  • ... Derek Stewart
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Michael Berger
  • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Michael Berger
  • ... Phoebus R. Dokos
  • ... Phoebus R. Dokos
  • ... Marcel Kilgus