Tony Firshman wrote:
> Well of course Skype has to be installed both ends, but nothing unusual
> otherwise for ADSL.

One can call landline phones, but not for free.

> Uniquely it is peer to peer, so one does not need a central (probably
> spy) server.

Actually no, it's usually not. For it being peer to peer at least one
party would have to open up the firewall or NAT router for incoming
traffic. Skype does not require this, therefore there has to be a
central server.
This is probably also the reasons why Skype hasn't been very reliable
for me. I had very annoying pauses during my calls.

Marcel