----- Original Message ----- From: "James Hunkins"
Subject: [ql-users] Quanta Membership - thread break

To be honest, the only reason that I still belong to Quanta is to show support. I have thought about letting it go several times since I don't personally gain anything. As was stated, QL Today provides much more info and it is rare that the Quanta publication actually has anything new. Note that this is not meant to say anything negative about the people publishing and writing for Quanta. It is just that there is only so much new material to put out and QL Today seems to be a better vehicle for this. Publication of both pieces is obviously a lot of work.

I think Roy Brereton has done a lot to improve the magazine, but there is still a long way to go. It doesn't even function well as a "Parish Magazine" for Quanta. By that I mean telling members what Quanta is getting up to.

I suggested to the Quanta committee in February that this should be a priority starting with their AGM. Among other things they should have photos of all the new committee in the first issue after the AGM.

In practice:

Quanta Magazine AGM report: 200 words on one page in a large typeface to make it look bigger.

QL-Today: 1,500 - 2,000 words over 2 and a half pages with photos.

In his item the Chairman boasted that 10% of members attended the AGM. Just a pity the other 90% had to find out what happened at the AGM via QL-Today.

For me to continue with Quanta, I personally would like to see them do the following:

1) organize, promote and directly support QL shows
> - this does not necessarily mean more but may instead be larger and
organized with more 'events' than trader stands, such as presentations and workshops
. >the idea is to promote interaction of users, build enthusiasm, and
perhaps help and encourage users to develop new or updated software

That's what I call QL2005!!!!!

QL2004 was largely a non-trading show, but even the traders enjoyed it.

Best Wishes,
Geoff