----- Original Message -----
From: "Joachim Van der Auwera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Proforma Filter

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I didn't express it very well, but what I was getting at was that there
are so many different possible formats in between software and printer that
somewhere in the middle there has to be a common format, e.g. Postscript, so
that the "only" job is converting from this common format to the native
printer raster format.

> > Which leaves us with two choices:
> > 1. write drivers for every printer on the planet
> > 2. rely on Ghostscript drivers to do this, meaning we fed Ghostscript,
it does the printer driving.

> > Much as I hate the idea, option 2 seems to be the only realistic option
for the printer end of things in the future. We can do what we like with QL
software's drivers (i.e. whether the Postscript is produced by epsonps
feeding ghostscript or whatever).

> > Back to:
> > qlsoftware->epson output->epsonps->ghostscript->printer
> >
> > or some such long winded solution.
>
> But QL software doesn't write Postscript output now. I am saying to come
> up with something easier as intermediate powerful language, which will
> be easier for QL software to use. This is now difficult, basically
> define an ASCII equivalent for the PROforma commands.
>
> This will then give a system which to my opinion is more QL minded,
> available to more QL users (I know PROforma requires a lot of memory
> etc, but it is still a lot better than Ghostscript (or at least last
> time I looked).
>
> PROforma is already in use on some people's system, so minimal extra
> memory would be required. In PROforma you can choose which printers to
> have (in Ghostscript there are compiled in the program - thus making it
> either a limited set (less memory), or the system even bigger (large
> set), or forcing people to recompile themselves (candidates)....
>
> The three layer system discussed between Wolfgang, Rich and Myself seems
> to be a very viable way to handle things. All that is needed now is a
> group of volunteers who can cooperate to make this a reality. Only then
> will we have made progress.
>
> Joachim

Exactly, Joachim,
Is the QL fraternity having QUANTA problems? That is, plenty of ideas but
not enough willing manpower!!

John Gilpin.