On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Tarquin Mills wrote:

> > To develop a board for a laptop is an interesting proposition. It's about
> > the same as the challenge of developing a board for a PC, but with
> > additional power challenges.
>
> The QL uses such minimal power that unless we are using Coldfire this
> can be ignored.

Not so. On the typical PC laptop motherboard is a charge control circuit
to regulate the current to the battery, and power monitoring to select
whether the battery is charged, used, or ignored.

> Yes, if they were serious, while the laptop would be much faster than
> 1/10th, in fact it will be faster than QPC, while if it uses Coldfire
> that will bring it into the next league. Do not forget the sales on
> other platforms.

I would counter-propose that if we agree this is true (I think it would be
hard to disagree this point) then what is really in demand is an embedded
QL-compatible platform that can be a desktop or laptop board, or used for
control/monitoring functions, etc. It would need to be a board of two
halves, logically speaking. A standard processing, OS, memory and required
interfaces half and a custom interfaces half (if that counts as half).

Ironically, this is more-or-less what Nasta designed as the Aurora II.

My only discomfort over Nasta's design is that he is extremely concerned
about efficiency of space. Therefore, he's crammed an awful lot into a
very small 6-layer PCB. I would always be inclined to spread things out a
bit and go for fewer layers. But that's just me - spending a bit extra on
PCB to save the cost in time to shoehorn all those tracks into SUCH a
small space ;)

Nasta is just too efficient for his own good ;)

Dave