This PC is a rule unto itself. With the latest drivers for everything,
it works even less well than with the drivers which came with it.

Adding some new hardware like the Win-TV-PCI card actually causes it
to lock up at the Found New Hardware Wizard and corrupt other drivers
(they get yellow warning symbols in device manager). All this with
XP-specific drivers!

Tried reinstalling several times from scrath (every 2 days on average)
and getting nowhere fast. I can email and that's about all I can do at
the moment without self-destruct. I even borrowed another copy of XP
Pro off someone at work to try in case there was a fault on the CD I
got, results always the same. The manufacturer of the PC says it's
designed for Win XP but "may work with Win 98SE" - in fact it works
with Win 98SE but putting XP on it seems to be a disaster. Everything
claims to work, nothing works except email and even that ignores the
line width setting to annoy people on this list!

Am just about going insane here.

Windows XP is so well behaved at work, I just can't understand why I
get all this hassle with everything that isn't made by Micro$oft.

Dilwyn Jones