At 17:05 28/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:

> I think that is quite proper, the CD is working properly, just the
SETUP is
> intended to run in Windows. There is no external DOS with XP.
I created a DOS boot disk from XP to test that. Sure enough, even
booting into that DOS disk, the XP CD still would not start, it says
something about not running in DOS.

The XP GD is intended to be the boot device.

When you are not doing something as fundamental as removing a major hardware component you will be better off to use XP's restore feature.

 A W98 boot disk offers CD operation as a choice, never tried the XP one.