ÎÎÎ Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:10:30 -0000,Î(Î) Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ÎÎÏÎÏÎ/wrote:

Phoebus R. Dokos wrote:
(BTW-what does the R stand for?)

As per Greek convention our "middle initial" stands for our father's first name. In this case it is Phoebus Romylus Dokos (or to be more precise, Phoebus Dokos, son of Romylus :-)

Phoebe, <---- That is a female version of my name ;-)

Last time I checked I was male (of course the hair... well until recently could throw some off track but me and Roy know better don't we Roy?) :-)
Same problem, for some reason some seem to prefer the female version
of my name too. Transpose i and y, swap i to e, you name it, even when
my name is correct further up in the emails. So I deliberately
mis-spell their names in replies and I get an angry email back!

That's a good idea... I will start using that too (see below)

I then tell them that if they are an English speaker, try to mis-spell
it, if it looks wrong it's probably right! Welsh spellings always seem
to 'look' wrong to English because of reversed stresses and so on
(emphasis usually on opposite syllable of 2 syllable words, hence why
we often mispronounce English words and sound like English gone wrong
when there's no strong Welsh accent!)
<snip>
Use the Welsh version, Ffibys for variety. Or even just ask people to
call you Dokos as you seem to be the only one on this list, just as I
think I'm the only Jones (for once).

Now that's an idea :-) I will then start to use that ;-)

Using English, is the correct pronunciation Fee-bus ?

Yes exactly :-)

If your case is
like mine, once people know the correct pronunciation they seem to
have less difficulty with sppelignz.

-or they could just open a Dictionary ;-) -

Ffibys :-)