In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Phoebus Dokos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Wrong. The firmware is what is on the chip that does the controlling. That firmware is, these days, often flash memory so it can be updated to support new media (as happens often in CD Writers etc.) The hardware and O/S has to interface with the onboard firmware in order to control the device. I thought you went to college to learn this stuff!! (He he)

I am sorry but you are wrong. By Firmware we mean software (specific to a CPU unless someone has created JAVA bytecode firmware that I don't know about) that is put on a hardware add on for ANY number of reasons. There are kinds of firmware of course and some are completely foreign to the platform (good example is the old Turtle beach firmware that was in two parts. One was the PC code that was used as a loader for the 68000 that was on board that had a different firmware altogether (that was being downloaded) and which happened to be 68K code.
What are you talking about ? Firmware is what is on the board itself. Each Chip has a set of instructions built into it and you have to interface with the controller to talk to the hardware. How else could you do it. Really this is silly. Every device has to be able to talk to the controlling software. On the SGC there was a standard device to talk to the floppy drives and the 'glue' chip on the SGC talked to that. Both of these were firmware in a s much as they were written to the chip itself . In the case of the ISA controller there is only one kind of firmware and that is the code on teh chips which talks to the hardware.
They do have different modules added in to support the various hardware differences but the core code is, I have been informed, always the same. I do not think anyone has changed the Cache modes which were written by TT at Peter's behest.

I think they were changed right after SMSQ/e's license was changed but I am not sure.
Not as far as I know.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.BN41 2LB