Derek Stewart wrote:
I have been looking at putting SMSQ/E in rom. Up to v2.98p the code is romable, but after that I can get the rommed version of SMSQ/E 3.07 to load.

The rom initialisation code looks OK, but maybe something else is affecting the rom loading routine.

The major changes after 2.98p were removal of MOVEP commands and slave blocks. Which I think look correct as well.

It is a puzzle, which I have spent many nights programming eproms and trying to get SMSQ/E 3.07 to boot without success.

My current guess (no verification done) is, as we do not have the source of 2.98, that some smart hardware initialisation might be missing.
When booting on 2.98 then lrespr 3.07, the hardware keep its set up, so that work.
When booting on 3.07 directly from eprom, the hardware is not set up, hence the failure.
Now, the only trouble is to fine that initialisation... it's only a 256K dessassembly of 2.98 to perform and compare with 3.07, but it's beyond my ability. (the hardware set up might just be a register setting, or a side effect instruction (like clearing/setting a flag when performing a SUBQ...)

I would be very glad if you can find out and solve that issue!