Wolfgang Lenerz writes:

> > > Your idea sounds excellent. Instead of my bicycle you and Wolfgang
> > > have produced a Mercedes. I am in favour (as long as I dont have to
> > > produce it ;)
> >
> > Damn, that was my precondition, too! ;-) But it does start to sound
> > like a worthwhile job.
>
> You will notice that (contrary to the long file names topic) I didn't ask
> a question, but made a suggestion. This implies that I'm quite
> willing to do that stuff...

Bravo to you!

> I'm not promising anything quick, though.

(Wasnt that what I said two years ago?  ;)

> Can we more or less agree on the following:
>
> ---------------
> It will be set up as a "thing" (since I don't think we have found any
> other satisfactory solution for compiled Basic).

"We" havent really tried, but ok

> For each job, the thing should contain:
> the complete filename
> the dir whence it came from (home dir)
> the current dir which will initially be the home dir
>
> facilities should exist to
> set the complete filename. This will also set the home dir and current
> dir.
> get the filename, home dir and current dir.
> set the current dir (either directly or by ddup, ddown?)

Both. By why not re-use the DUP & DDOWN code as a general utility to work on
any filename string, given the string's location? Suggest the new Sbasic
keywords be called UD, DD and CD (CD -> Change dir, ie set a new start
string) ie, something quick and simple (though admittedly a two char name is
potentially dangerous)

[Note: Since we're still in "brainstorming mode" I reserve the right to
make /outrageous/ and even downright /stupid/ suggestions without being
smirked at at future QL shows, ok?  ;o]

> get the length of the file/dir names (this would only be of interest
>  if *somebody* actually gets around to implementing some form of
> long file names).

Yes! Ie, no LEN, it has to be a system call

> set a default filename for a job with a certain name

No. I dont see the point. They can just use PROGD$ as now.
<>

Per