Wolfgang Uhlig wrote:
> As far as I can see:
> By default, if you right-click the My Documents icon on your desktop and
> click Properties, the tab lets you change the path of this folder.
> If this doesn't work, you probably have to change the following registry
> value to 0.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisablePersonalDirChange
>
> (if value is 1)
DisablePersonalDirChange isn't present in the registry, at least not in that
location. All that's there is:

(Default)  REG_SZ  (value not set)
NoWelcomeScreen   REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

Thanks to everyone for trying to help, I think we should close this thread now
(especially on the list). If need be, I know how to change the registry entries
or to download the TweakUI utility Marcel mentioned. Interesting though that
something you'd have thought to be so essential should prove so *irritatingly*
difficult to achieve without extra software for the ordinary user!

To think that we could have lost all our company's documents in one little
disaster. I know we have backups, but having never restored we don't know if
they can be restored to different locations! As it happened, as we have drive
letters assigned to access each other's My Documents I was able to copy all the
files from the server onto the "new" My Documents location on my drive from my
colleague's machine.

The whole system here seems a bit weird and ham-fisted but from my limited
knowledge might actually be normal. It was implemented before I came here to
work. As my PC has an 80GB hard disk but I'm only allocated 1GB on the server,
it seems more logical to make use of the otherwise wasted space on my hard disk
unless there are good (unknown to me) reasons for putting it on the server,
such as backing up and ease of folder sharing for the other 3 users on this
network.

Must admit though that some of the stuff I can do from QPC2 is pretty useful on
this network, such as choosing which printer i use and thanks to Marcel's
QPCprint (watch out for that one when it comes out, QPC2 users, it's going to
be brilliant being able to print from QPC2 to Windows-only printers!) I can now
print from QPC2 to my Samsung ML-1210 laser without having to make sneaky use
of the boss's Brother laser printer! Only downside of QPCprint is that it can
only be used from QPC2 on Windows systems, not on QL/Q60/QLay/QemuLator etc.