Thanks, John.

It's a Toshiba T1910CS (from memory at least)

Trouble is, we don't know if the laptop itself is still working.

It had been stolen and after it was recovered the power supply no longer works,
so he's not prepared to invest too much in case the laptop is now broken too.
I've told him I'll try for a few days to get things working for him, after that
he's on his own.

Dilwyn Jones