What I'm trying to achieve is for the symbol (an 'x') to just show as
an x and let the rest of the background show through. Doesn't seem to
be possible with the mask tools, anyone know how it can be done? I
want the rest of the sprite to be transparent like the chequerboard
colour 8 in Easysprite.

Background always seems to come out white or black with the available
options.

In case I'm not making it clear: I want it to appear like OVER 1:PRINT"x":OVER 0 would in SBASIC. (only set pixels drawn)

Please ignore above email. I opened my mouth before engaging my brain.

Just tried it again and it all works first time, goodness knows what I did wrong earlier today.