In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeremy Taffel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

It is the default behaviour in Outlook Express to send both a text and HTML file, unless you actually find the setting for text only.

I get lots of people who work in local government sending email like that. Usually either because they just don't know, or they are not allowed access to change any settings.

I don't work in local government, just the UKs largest defence contractor. All the IT is outsourced. The contract specifies the levels of support received. It also has the conflicitng requirements of standardising profiles, despite the fact that some of us use laptops, and others don't. Net result, no-one can customise Windows to his needs. Every time I log on, for example, the calculator has reverted to the simple form, despite the fact that I always need the scientific functions. AND, email defaults to html, even tho we are only allowed to send each other plain text! If I'm going to need to run an application other than office, (mathcad, for example) when out of the office, I have to start the program at work , to grab a licence off the server, and then put it into "suspend", because no-one is allowed his own licence. Everything runs so slowly because almost all the files come over the network, instead of being stored on the local hard drive, and although I work in Stevenage, I can't fill in my timesheet if a server in Maidstone goes down!
I still do most of my serious computing from home!

Yes, it seems to be a never_ending_story with Windows ... although we now need it for our QL Emulators :-)

At least everyone on this list knows that it is text only ( also no attachments ), etc ...

Which keeps us all content.

--
Malcolm Cadman
  • ... COLIN PARSONS
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... COLIN PARSONS
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Jeremy Taffel
  • ... SMSQ - Jochen Merz
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Jeremy Taffel
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Malcolm Cadman