I suspect you are incorrect FFibys !

The original American 'Number Place' was brought to the US by a retired judge -
Holmes (I think). He called it Number Place from the original Japanese (which I
cannot remember - or type).

He is the man responsible for introducing it to The Times newspaper over here
in the UK and the rest, they say, is history.

Source : Christmas & New Year 2005 special issue of New Scientist magazine.

Cheers,
Norman.