Roy wood wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David
> Tubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>> Remember in the old days typing in the programmes published, if only they
>> had been machine readable ! Pity the Omnireader would no cope with other
>> than a couple of typewrite scripts, though it was planned to have a
>> learning capability.
> By typing them in and making mistakes many of us learned to look at the
> code, see where it went wrong and learn by it.
Yes indeed, it is a very good exercise.

I typed in the archive rescue program from the very last QL User.
If that had been on disk, I don't think I would have ever got it
working.  It was riddled with serious bugs, and I noticed quite a few
while I was typing it in.  If I hadn't been through that exercise, then,
as Roy says, I would not have learned the program (including archive
database structure) quite as well as I did.

On the other hand, QL User tried printing a _very_ clever winner of the
'draw a picture' superbasic competition.  This program used recursive
turtle graphics routines, and masses of data statements using characters
rather than number codes (to save space).  Unfortunately the printer
they used did not have the QL character set from 127 to 255.  _That_ was
a learning exercise I could have done without (8-)#

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk