Hi Tony,

> Often motherboard faults can be repairable, especially ram.
> What do you see on screen when it tries to boot?  When I get

Random coloured snow, various screeches and whistles from the speaker, both
microdrives spinning up & down randomly, all constantly changing. The
"click-click" when you push the reset button can still be heard (over the
cacophany), but the net effect is nothing whatsoever changes.

I've tried replacing all of the pluggable chips (not sure, but I may have
dislodged the flying resistor which is parked somewhere near the roms, which
was obviously a hardware patch), to no avail.- all chips work fine in
another motherboard.

> a motherboard that is not simple to repair, I (like you)
> simply use a working m/b.

Agreed, it is far simpler; but I would love to be able (one day) to say
"THAT is 100% my original computer (ok, barring whatever components needed
replacing to make it work again!)"

[microdrives]
> The usual problem is the roller riding up.

Never suffered that ever - and I was using nothing but microdrives until at
least the early '90s (A 128k basic QL was my only machine from 1984 to 1992,
when I expanded to 512k + a single 5.25" floppy drive - running on some
weird interface which prefixed the drives "fdk" - so I had to mess around
with *every* piece of software to make it use fdk rather than flp; until I
found the command on my interface which allowed me to substitute "flp" in;
then I had to alter all of my software *again* to make it use flp....

Happy days.

Cheers,
Ade.