Tony Firshman wrote:

> Dennis S wrote:
>
>>John,
>>
>>In Outlook Tools Menu click:
>>Options, Send, Mail Sending Format, Plain Text settings:
>>Tick the box; "Indent the original text when replying or
>>forwarding."
>>
>>Viola,
>>
>>Denny
>>
> Forwarding?  Does that mean 'replying' too?

Forwarding is when you forward the message, with headers, to someone.  The
setting is how to quote such "original" message when it's being forwarded.

Replying doesn't usually bother to include message headers in the body
(along with the quoted message) & usually sets the To: field as the original
sender (From: or Reply-to: field).

> ... and is the default a '>' character?

Can't say, but I suspect that may be a [rfc] standard [going back years and
all my experiences of email, esp under Unix, have used '>' as the "quote char"].

> When I last looked (in OE) I think it mentioned the term 'quote text
> in-line'.

I think that means as opposed to quoting [original] text as a mime
attachment.  ie the orignal is added as an attachment to your reply.