Re;
This does not apply to Seagate (and Maxtor) or Western Digital.  They do
not ask for any information other than disk serial number.
Tony
=======================
Tony must think I imagined it   ;-)

But, in case it is of further interest ,I copy two correspondences (from
April 2004) below.  I have a lot more including something 'formal' from
Dell's legal dept!

Regards to all,

John in Wales
==================================
>From ME
Can you help with this please?  I bought from DELL (as I have told them)
because I knew that they used only the best third-party suppliers.  I have
explained to them that surely (as it is stated by you on the device) it is
underwritten by you - so why should DELL hesitate?  In effect, to put it
starkly, this situation puts MAXTOR - as well as DELL- in a bad light.

=============
>From DELL -

Please include the following line in all replies.
Tracking number: ET20040309_0000006363

Dear John.

Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware e-support and services

I understand your concern, but sorry to say that Dell treats
only warranty issued on the time of purchase, not the warranty
from the manufacturer.

Once the part is purchased by any vendor and sent by Dell it
is Dell's product and we will not consider the warranty of the
manufacturer.

I have even discussed the same with my manager and we will not
be able to help you in this issue.

=========================
>From MAXTOR -

Thank you for your email. When Maxtor sells hard drives to Computer
Manufacturer's, they also sell the warranty of the drive to the PC
Manufacturer. Therefore in this case Dell now owns the warranty of Maxtor
drives which they use in their PCs. Maxtor no longer cover the warranty of
their drives once the drives have been sold to PC Manufacturers.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Edwina Fogarty,
Customer Support,
Maxtor Ireland.