Hi Marcel,

> Not entirely true, using a processor feature called PAE (Physical
> address extension) some Windows server version can address more memory
> (up to 64GB).
That's the patch I was thinking of, but I was under the impression it only
allowed an extra i GB of RAM to be addressed. As an Oracle DBA I have had
occasion to use this on a Windows 2000 Server box to get the extra RAM utilised
by the database. We had to patch Windows, patch Oracle and even then could only
use 1 GB and only for the buffer cache. Hmmmm, I wonder if you are talking
about something different to what I remember.

> But in practise this will not help you because
> applications have to be specifically written for this (anybody
> remember the EMS memory expansions cards of old yore? Or EMM386.EXE?
>The principle is similar).
Me, I do! I used to have Turbo C++ V3 and also Borland C++ 3.01 and those came
with a DOS extender. Never got anything to work properly. :-(

Cheers,
Norman.