George Gwilt wrote:
> I notice that many people have a problem with fast cursor flashing.

Well, I only noticed 3, none of those running QPC under Windows. And I
currently do not have any further ideas in this area because the
things told do not add up:

- Fast key repeat and fast cursor flashing is a sure sign of increased
  poll frequency.
- The poll test program though apparently testifies to a steady 50hz
  poll.
- If the frequency actually is increased and the test still shows
  50hz, the time base of the test must be off in the same way. This
  would be the SMSQ/E clock.
- But apparently the SMSQ/E clock is also not faster than real time.

To the last point, regarding this comment from Norman:
| I left it running for 15 minutes and it kept exactly the same time.

What I should probably have said is that QPC does re-synchronize the
SMSQ/E clock with the system clock once per minute. So even if the
clock is runaway fast it will be right again one minute later.

> My problem is that sometimes the cursor will not remain where it is
> placed, by the mouse or cursor keys. Instead it drops directly to the
> bottom of the screen at a constant, fairly fast, speed. Perhaps 1 1/2
> seconds for a full screen.

Well, QPC does not use any relative mouse movements which could
explain the behaviour, instead it uses an absolute mouse positioning
scheme. Basically the Windows mouse coordinates are directly
translated to the SMSQ/E mouse position.

Therefore my first guess would be that you're using an optical mouse
that has problems with the surface it's on. The second guess is that
something strange is going on on the SMSQ/E side of things. Did it
ever happen on a clean machine?

Marcel