And you can get a BBC Interpreter for the PC...

Derek

Dilwyn Jones wrote:
Also, the "Atom" name, was once used for a British made computer called the Acorn Atom - back in 1980's ..... the era of the first QL machines
too.
The Atom was a fine machine, with a fast (if unusual) basic.

*#*Snip#*#

I though it ran BBC Basic, which was inferior but similar to SuperBASIC?

BBC Basic was ... is ... capable of being very structured. With a lot of hooks in to the hardware side of the processor being used.

I prefer SuperBASIC, though, for its elegance, if used that way of course.
I remember sending endless long sequences of VDU code bytes to the video hardware, a kind of poke except that you were sending register values.

VDU 23,8202;8,4,2,1..... (random numbers only!)

Does that bring back memories Malcolm?

And is the Archimedes basic anything like BBC Basic?

Then I remember the Z88 also used BBC Basic, though the big hardware differences meant most basic programs with any degree of hardware access stood little chances of success.

I also have vague memories of writing programs in COMAL for a while, which was also like an even more structured BASIC.