I am attempting to write (or rather re-write) a menu controlled program which will operate on QDOS (Basic Black Box QL) SMSQ (Aurora/SGC/QuBide) and QPC2 and in order that I get the correct terminology printed to the screen, I am likely to be asking ql-users for their advice on a number of points as they arise in the development of the program.

Firstly: can anyone explain to me the difference (if any) of the terms 'SMSQ', 'SMSQE ' and SMSQ/E?
The SMSQ/E, SMSQ-E or SMSQE versions of SMSQ/E are all the same, just written differently by various people. I think the original spelling was SMSQ/E. The E stands for "Extended environment", the fact that it has the equivalent of ptr_gen (Pointer Environment) and wman (Window Manager) built in.

SMSQ without an E is the original version of the operating system for QXL as supplied by Miracle Systems Ltd. This does NOT have the equivalent of ptr_gen and wman (Extended Environment) built in.

There was an even earlier version of SMS called SMS2 if I remember correctly, but this only existed as a plug-in cartridge for Atari systems and was supplied by a Swiss or German company (Furst???) only for Ataris.

The letters SMS apparently stood for Single-user Multitasking System. I'm not sure if the Q stood for QXL or QL-systems or QDOS-systems.

what is the maximum line number that can be used in a SuperBASIC listing? Is this number the same for using in RENUM etc?
In theory, 32767 is the highest line number, and this can be entered direct, though not RENUMbered for some reason.

Enter 2 lines with REM statements, 32766 REMark and 32767 REMark. Renumber them using RENUM 32765,1. This creates lines 32765 and 32766. Then try to renumber them with RENUM 32766,1 and it says out of range. So the limit for renumbering isn't the same as the highest line number. I checked this on QPC2 and QemuLator using a Minerva ROM, so this "feature" isn't restricted to SBASIC alone.

I am not the fastest programmer and it is likely therefore that I shall be popping up from time to time asking similar very basic questions and I would ask that you bear with me while you try to teach this Old Dog new Tricks.
That's what we do on this list... help each other. And sometimes have a moan!