The uALFAT-USB module looks like a possible contender, although it
would need some kind of "glue" board to interface it:

http://www.crownhill.co.uk/product.php?prod=1577

Has anyone had any experience with this module?

As far as the issue of writing drivers for every type of USB device I
would say that is a non starter. Instead, I'd envisage a system that
supported only removable mass storage devices, anything else being
ignored.

Adrian

---