On 14/06/2010 16:11, Tobias Fröschle wrote:
Am Montag, den 14.06.2010, 16:00 +0100 schrieb Rich Mellor:
Does anyone else have as much trouble as me trying to format floppy disk
drives....

I have a Windows 7 (64 bit) PC with a USB floppy disk drive.

Unfortunately, although QPC2 and Q-emuLator can normally read a DD disk,
it is a real pain to find one they can format.
QPC2 normally accesses the disk once, then waits about 20 seconds, then
accesses it further and reports format failed.

Q-emuLator looks at the drive, then says - the media is not recognised -
it may not be formatted.  However any attempt to format the disk just
fails to do anything

Sometimes it works though...

Infuriating!

Hi Rich,
probably has something to do with Windows 7: The Microsoft guys have
removed native support for 720k formatting from all Windows 7 stuff (If
you try to format a floppy with the built-in tools, it will only offer
1440k, not 720k like XP/Vista did).
My windows 7 box can't do that either (be it from inside QPC or
outside), while it works perfectly on XP and Vista.
I help myself with a pack of pre-formatted disks I created on an XP box.

Regards
Tobias

I think it probably is a Windows 7 issue - I never had the problem on Windows XP, but then I never had a USB floppy drive with XP

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk