Good evening,

I've actually been thinking more about this over the day...

Malcolm Cadman wrote:
Hi Steve,

Nice link ... :-)

Chris Curry and Clive Sinclair originally worked together, and then split with the Acorn/Sinclair rivalry ( friendly though ).

Coming back to together with a common hardware platform - the ARM chips - would be interesting.

RISCOS Open is a nice idea, too, to take forward the development.

Interesting to hear that is now happening.

I still use my Archimedes ... :-)

Would that work for an QDOS/SMSQ/E "Open" ... ?

Anyway, something needs to get done.

Indeed....

Well, I see that there are two issues with the QL legacy, one which gives a QL-like experience (i.e. SuperBASIC etc.) and emulation for running old programs.

Now, for the former, I can see a niche market just waiting to be filled.

Firstly, read this link:

        http://www.osnews.com/story/23464/Why_Johnny_Can_t_Code

Then, thing back to the BBC programme, Electric Dreams, the 1980s episode (unfortunately not now available to view):

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n59t4

The boy was amazed by the BBC micro, as was his friend. They loved to be able to make the machine do what THEY wanted it to do quickly and easily. (As opposed to the current crop of OSs which ALLOW the user to do what the application developers thought that the user SHOULD do and no more.)

So, I envisage the following in this case, a re-implementation of SuperBASIC, extendable but basically the same as the original, developed using a cross-platform graphics toolkit, such as QT (which runs on UNIX/Linux, MacOS and Windows and has a mobile version too, useful later, see below). In its basic form, you could even have it use the raw, whole display.

This could actually lead on to a second stage, the almost instant on Linux/QL hybrid. Replace the Linux init process with this SuperBASIC interpretor (plus display driver) and the system would boot within a couple of seconds, be it ARM based or Intel it doesn't matter. Now for the clever bit... when you called EXEC or EXEC_W the program being referenced would be looked at and its type determined. If it is a QDOS program then a virtual machine would be started with a QDOS compatible OS inside and the program would be run in that. If it were a native Linux binary then it would be able to be run as well, as would a "SuperBASIC" program.

Writing the "SuperBASIC" application as a stand-alone application, running within other windowing systems should be the priority but with a thought to developing the "kiosk-mode" version for a later QL-like, (pseudo-)instant-on system.

i.e. the best of all worlds and standing on the shoulders of the Linux developers, who have done all the hard hardware work and using commodity hardware.

Thoughts?

Steve