A Quanta member has sent the committee some suggestions for amending the
constitution to provide for the situation where an AGM is inquorate.

I raised this question at the 2008 AGM and John Mason said that "proxy votes
count towards a quorum". (The quotation comes from the minutes of the meeting.)
I tend to disagree with John on this point, but I am unable to prove that he is
wrong. Equally I am unable to prove that he is right.

I spent some time researching this last night and came across a lot of
contradictory opinions, but no definite legal argument or opinion either way. I
wonder if there is anyone with experience of this problem who could point me to
a legal source or similar authority that could give a (more or less) definitive
answer to the problem.

Should it be possible for proxy votes to count towards a quorum and should
Quanta wish to do that, it would seem sensible to include it in the
constitution so that there is no misunderstanding should an inquorate situation
occur.

As one of the people who has offered to help in the drafting of a constitution
I would be unhappy about including anything about which I was not legally
certain,

Best Wishes,

Geoff