Norman Dunbar wrote:
Hi Dilwyn,

Right, are you wearing your flame-proof suit, Norman?
No! Should I be? I'm only ironing, nothing dangerous! ;-)
Ironing, or smoothing out the bugs?

Anyway, how can you be reading your email while ironing ???

I have just spent an hour or two trying to figure out why a page on a
site I maintain for a local craft association failed to display
properly on Firefox - a table got its columns a bit scrambled. I am
not sure what the problem was - I redid the page in a slightly
different way and the problem eventually went away, but I didn't
keep a copy to examine why. Using comment markers in table cells MAY
have been the problem, but I am not sure.
It's a shame you didn't keep a copy. Actually, I'm surprised you
didn't. Making changes to a "live" web site is dangerous. My stuff is
backed up daily and the Wiki software keeps "n" old versions - just
in case.
But you are an IT pro...I only take weekely backups because not enough changes (normally) get done in one week on any of the small-time stuff I do.

Still, it used to be IE 5.5 and when we (the government) upgraded to
IE 6.0, we have to get the vendors to build in different bugs to make the
system work with IE 6. Go figure!
He he, that I can believe ;-)

It isn't just the Quanta home page that fails when using IE8 for me
- I have great difficulties with the Typo3 CMS when trying to edit
the pages via IE8. It is much easier (and seems to be faster, though
that is probably subjective) when using Firefox.
I suspect the problem is because the CMS uses an on screen editor to
generate content. That is working inside a web page itself and
probably using CSS. Hence, IE (whatever version) with its CSS
problems, can't work with the editor properly. Just a hunch - I
obviously don't know.
Could well be the case.

While I would be the last person on this planet to stand up for
Micro$oft,
You only stand up just before you throw another PC running Windows out
the window! ;-)
Yup! As the caption competition picture my son sent to me for the March issue of the magazine shows ;-)

the plain home truth is that the majority of Windows users
still use Internet Explorer of one version or another, despite its
"faults".
As of two months ago, the most used browser in all of Europe was
Firefox 3. See
http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/firefox-3-0-is-europe-s-most-popular-browser-588938
- so unfortunately it seems as if all those Windows users are catching
on to quality products and no longer being spoon feed mush by
Microsoft.
At long last! Seems that forcing M$ to allow Windows user to select other browsers might be having an influence. That article is not 100% clear on it, though, because the direct comparison was with IE7.0 specifically and mentions that the figure might be different if you base it on users using all versions of IE. Still that was 2009, so it must be even truer today. Thank goodness.

To say that to your website visitors is laziness in many ways,
as you are failing to ensure your website works for the majority.
No, my website actually works for the majority. My site is based on a
product that produces Web Standard HTML and CSS. It's not my fault
that the people too lazy to get a proper browser (oops!) decide to
stick with a broken one. One that has butchered web standards and
now, the cows have come home to roost. (Cows? Roosting? Who's got the
chickens then?)
At the very best you'd have to admit that you are denying a big group the joys of accessing your website if it won't work on IE! Then you'd say (probably) thank goodness

You do know, for example, that the web standard for email is plain
text. So why then do Microsoft set their email clients up with
default that send emails in bloody HTML. It takes masses more
bandwidth and gives what extra? A bold text here or a colour there?
It's content that is important - and that's why we have CSS, it
separates the content from the styling.
Yes, that's the difficult part. Give an average emailer the choice of pretty colours, fonts, pictures etc under their control against simple plain text, you probably know which they'd choose. Probably not the same as you and I would.

Rant over.
And a jolly good rant it was too. I enjoyed it. Cheers!
Drat, failed in my efforts to annoy Norman :o(